Sunday, July 5, 2009

Tell Me More

"What in the world?! @#%*&@**?:@!!*$", Was what came through my mind when I read the following three articles (also listed below in this blog) in The Star newspaper today. Sorry, for my undignified manner, I hardly or normally don't use crude language, but yea.... that's what I felt when I read the headline in the paper today.

I really don't know how to or what to, I'm trying to find the right word........ I really do feel that our country is still uneducated, uncivilized, untrained, uninformed, un-whatever about people with special needs, to have this kind of thing happening in our own backyard...... The shelter was tucked away behind a hospital right next the a golf course! Goodness sake! Why are these people kept in such undignified ways?! Aren't they human like you and me?

So why then are 30 men kept naked, some chained up, caged and covered in their feaces and urine? Why are there not even blankets to keep them warm on cold rainy nights? Why do the residents liked to hit themselves repeatedly? Why? You tell me why?.... I would like to know.......

If you have the answer, I would like to ask somemore..... Why is there claim of children in the shelter being fed with cough syrup so that they would be sleepy and docile? Why? Why is it that most of them are admitted into the centre because they were abandoned by their family members? Why? Why is it that they tried to apply to Government to provide with the necessary allocation but to no avail? Why? You have the answer?.... I would like to know..... Tell me why......

Its not about pointing fingers.... Its not about who is at wrong.... Its not about finding out who is at fault..... Its not about all those.....

I am really glad the newspaper carried about this investigation and to report this story boldly. I am sure tommorrow's paper will have some knee-jerk effect on this topic. People will express their outburst of fighting for human rights, calling the centre inhumane, wanting justice prevail and whatever not. ( I really do hope the newspaper article made some impact )

What I wanna say is.... Please let this not be a "one-time" get all emotional and fiery and passionate of the topic. Please be educated or at least be informed on special needs and see that they are human like you and me. Please ask yourself, what can you do or should I do anything about it.

Please..... Only when people care, things can change for better. Do you care?


No comments: