Tuesday, March 14, 2006

O Positive

I have an O+ blood….. according to the charts, I can only received blood from O+ and O- It sucks!… should I complain that all the other blood groups are free to receive my blood but I can’t get the same treatment from them? Or should I just choose to rejoice the fact that with my blood, the other blood groups are blessed? Hmmm… I’ll choose the second, but I dread the thought if I ever need blood transfusion. Aargh!! Wat if there isn’t any O+ supply when I need one?! O_o”


I strongly believe and always believe that blood donation save lives. Even if I can’t save the world, at least I know I gave another person a second chance to live. It doesn’t matter if I don’t even know the person, but I know that I helped someone through my blood. That person may be somebody’s son, or daughter, or somebody’s mom or dad. Nope I never knew where my blood went to, but I do know feeling a joy in my heart that I did the right thing. I mean I really felt the joy! Not that “Oh! I-think-I’m-so-noble” but more like “Thank you Lord, for what You gave that I can give”


I’ve told myself before that I’m gonna donate every year. And to look back at the records in my little booklet, I found out that most of it were done around my birth date. So, that was how I came out with the idea that I’m gonna donate blood everytime my birthday draws near. I tot that’ll be a nice way to celebrate. =)


I’ve asked many people to donate blood each time I know of a donation drive. Most of them would turn me down, giving all kinds of excuses. “There’re always somebody there to donate, I don’t need to”, “I’m faint at the sight of blood”, “The needle hurts”, “I heard the nurses are rough”, “I don’t have enough blood for myself!!”. Sigh! If only they could look beyond that! I mean, you are that somebody who could donate! If you are scared of blood, just look away. What is a short little pain compared to the live you will save? You can always ask the nurses to be gentle which most of them already are. And an average man has 10 pint of blood in his body, which is more than sufficient to donate. Sigh~


To be honest, I’m scared of the sight of big huge needle sticking out of my vein… urgh!! I can see it now… but I choose to turn away from looking at it. I’m also scared of the procedure where they’ll poke your finger with sharp needle and let some blood drip for testing. Well, just endure the short temporary pain lar! Say “ouch!” when you need to, but not be a sissy by not even wanting to donate. And each time I see the bag of blood…. i feel…. “Wow!.... that’s my blood” it’s like I have just gave away something precious.


I once argue with a friend the importance of donating blood. I mean, imagine if you are the one needing it. If everybody were selfish, nobody wants to donate, you gonna just die!! Know what she said? “I’ll just pay someone to donate their blood then!” Augh?! Imagine my hurt and pain!! Money could buy her everything?! Even somebody’s supply of life?! gosh…. I didn’t know how to reply her, except feeling disgusted. I don’t even know how to argue the power of money, but I do know that this is what drives our generation. who cares about doing good, when I don’t get anything in return?


Actually what do I get from donating blood? hmmm… besides the milo and biscuits and of course the “another record” into my little booklet, that’s the only physical thing I gain. In my humanity sense, I get the satisfaction, I get good feeling, I get joy, I get to contribute, I get to give. My biggest drive is that I get do my tiny bit in making a difference in another person’s life.


Oh… I found a great website about blood donation. www.bloodsaves.com

No comments: