Thursday, October 22, 2009

Is It A True Story?

“Er, Jecy a. Today I was cleaning the 5th floor a, and, and, er, I think its New Straits Times la. I saw your biography! (laughs) They got your picture, a! (laughs) I want to ask a. What they say is true a? Er, I mean wh-what they write is true a?”


“Erm, yea, that was me. (smile) What do you mean? Which part? What part is true?”


“Er, there th-the one they tie the children to-to the chairs? Is, is izzit true? Cannot be right? Why they tie a? Is it because they will kill people?”


Above was a brief conversation I had with this guy. I have been giving him a ride back to Subang after work and sometimes we chat on our way home. He is fresh out of school and now going through training at the work base to prepare him for the working world.


He read the article on NST about AYA Awards. A dear friend of mine had nominated me and I have been shortlisted as one of the finalist. The experience been great so far, but to be honest, I was not comfortable with attention that I was receiving. But if it is gonna give me a chance to share about what I do, I would gladly do it. =) I see it more of a platform to create awareness and to promote what I am doing at the moment, Pre-School Inclusion of children with special needs. Take time to listen intently if you are interested.


Anyway, yea, there was a write-up of the interview in the papers. I shared about what I do and my prior Miss Malaysia experiences and how it led to what I am doing today. I also shared about the home where I saw children and adults (both with special needs) being tied to pillars and chairs. In fact I have written quite a number of posts (passionately) about it in this blog (I think).


“Er, so a, wh- why they tie the children a? Adults also a?”


“Well, they claimed that they will hurt people like scratching and hitting. What do you think? Should they be tied?”


“Er, no la, I think no la, children cannot. Children cannot tie. Children can learn ma, they are young, we can teach them ma. We can teach them noh-not to hit people ma. Ca-cannot tie the children.”


I was impressed, hearing that from him. This guy has some form of learning difficulties and yet he understands the simple compassion of love for these children. How much it shamed those of us who are assumedly to be the “normal-typical able-to-think people”. Who also thinks that tying people to chairs and pillars would solve the problem!


“What do you think about the adults? Should they be tied to the pillar too?”


“The adults a? Er, what do they do a? I, I mean if you let them go? Will they kill people a?”


“ No la. Maybe they will just scratch people.”


“Oh, (Thinks...) Er, I think, I think only Jesus can help.”


“Oh... What do you mean?”


“Ca-cannot tie the adults also. Ch-children we can teach, they don’t understand but we can teach them ma, not to hurt people. But I think a, adults also difficult. Sometimes the trainers also don’t know what to do. O-only Jesus can help lor.”


Wow…. My heart was filled with delight by the answer. I mean, WOW! From a person who has learning difficulties, Jecy! Do you understand? Do you understand the power of God’s love? And the simple childlike faith? Wow….. I was humbled to learn and be reminded again by these people that I serve the things that God can do. Who said they don’t understand? Who say they can’t apply the power of God?


So is it a true story? Well yea, my Jesus is the true story. In Him there is Hope, in Him there is a Promise, and in Him there is Eternal Life. Would you want to know Him?


"Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace."

No comments: